Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Can We Talk?

I ran my fourth Board Boot Camp last Saturday, and one of the intriguing questions posed by a participant was how a board can build a better bond with their management company. As I said when I kicked off the discussion, this is a topic near and dear to my heart.

I think the best way to do this is by honest and open communication. I often have no idea that a misunderstanding or mistake on the part of someone in the company (definitely including me) has caused a ripple in our relationship with a board that can fester into one of two things:  battle lines being drawn or the termination of our management agreement. Neither outcome is a good one as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps it's the nature of working with a group rather than one-on-one, but there seems to be a reluctance to confront those misunderstandings or mistakes head-on. For us that's similar to an employment situation, being suddenly fired and having no idea why. It's far better to suffer a bit of discomfort while clearing the air over an issue than to allow it to smolder in the background.

We see our relationship with our boards as a partnership, and we are every bit as engaged in their success as they are. So give us a chance to prove it by allowing us to fix our mistakes (because no one is perfect), and by letting us clear up those misunderstandings.

So, I finish where I started:  Can we talk?

3 comments:

  1. These are good points. I often feel that lack of (open) communication between Boards and the various contractors & service providers can often lead to miscommunication and misunderstandings. Would it benefit service providers to attend these Board Boot Camps also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also very interested in BOOT CAMPING,
    and i also buy and sell condos

    Porsche Tower Miami | icon bay apartments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Open and honest communication is nearly impossible when nobody at Longley seems to ever be available to take a phone call. It becomes even harder because nobody at Longley bothers to respond to voicemails or emails either. Termination of the management agreement with Longley seems like the best outcome.

    ReplyDelete